Total Pageviews

Monday, April 30, 2012

Home Alone

My kids had no school today, which is not surprising as there never seems to be more than 3 weeks at a time where kids go to school for all 5 days.  Typically if I have to work on a non-school day, the kids would go to the day-home.  Today we decided to test their home-alone skills!  Today was home-alone day!  

Both our kids have taken the Home Alone course offered through the Red Cross, and they have stayed home by themselves for an hour or two, but to be left alone for an entire day?  This was a first and the kids were excited to have a full day by themselves.  It was actually freeing this morning for me to get ready for work while they slept.  To not have to wake them up for school and to not rush to get out the door was a true gift! 

They likely experienced freedom as well...no school, no parents, and really being on their own for their meals.   Of course, being the way I am, I did write them a 2 page note this morning though I wonder if they even read it!  I wrote out a list of examples of what they could make to eat, and a list of our work numbers, and a list of rules (I guess I wouldn't have read the note either!).  Our son was so excited about the home alone adventure, that he even prepared last night!  He found a box of KD and put everything he needed to make it on the counter:  the pot, oven mitts and a strainer to drain the water.


So...how did it end?  I called about 10 times (they never called).  Each time I called, the kids said they were great!   They had whipped cream and berries and tea for breakfast (!), and chewy KD for lunch. And even though the pantry door and kitchen drawer were left open, they actually left the kitchen fairly tidy and all the dishes were in the sink!     Of course I had to overlook a few things...like eating KD, (not the best, but it was okay for today) and the fact that they likely watched movies and played video games for the bulk of the day (again, not the best, but okay for their home alone day).  

Overall,  I was impressed with their "survival skills" and I think they felt empowered by the fact that they COULD do it without me!  Great job kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment