Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Kids and "The Talk..."


About a month ago, our family was watching TV, and we happened to be watching an episode of "Glee". Because the show has some adult themes, when we do watch it, I typically watch it with my daughter (and okay, I admit it, I LOVE the show). Because one of the cheerleader characters is a bit promiscuous, we got on the subject of S-E-X. Here's how the conversation went:

" Mom, Brittany said she has had sex with everyone in the school".
"Well, is that a good choice? Or not a good choice" (deep breaths, Sherene, breaths....deep breaths....)
"I think not a good choice" (great answer!!). OK...time for the mom-response...aim high...set the bar high....
"Because you know," I say carefully, "to have sex, you have to be married first, you have to have a job, and not just a job anywhere, but a profession, AND you have to be in your late twenties." (like I said, aim high and maybe part of my statement will come true). Now she has a horrified look on her face....here it comes....
"You mean you and dad have had SEX???"
"Uh, yes, daughter, at least twice" I say jokingly, referring of course to the procreation of her and her brother.
"Yeah, last week...wink wink" says the husband. Really? Did this comment help at all?? No. Meanwhile, our son is busting a gut laughing, because he is 11, and apparently at 11, you know everything there is to know about sex.
"Hmmmmmm...." I say, "Maybe it's time we start reading the What's Happening To Me book. We can read it together, okay?"
"Okay mom," she smiles sweetly and gives me a kiss and hug. I love this moment!

Later that night...
We started reading THE BOOK. We read a few pages, and when we got to the cartoon page of the girl changing into a woman, you know with little buds here and there, and some curly black hair drawn in down there...my daughter has yet another horrified look on her face...
"That's gonna happen to ME??????" she exclaims, pointing at the curly hair cartoon picture. "Yes honey, it happens to all women...its okay, it won't happen overnight". Then I smile to myself and think....but I know a gal who can laser that RIGHT OFF, don't you worry!


No comments:

Post a Comment