Total Pageviews

Friday, April 27, 2012

Nova Scotia Smoked Salmon


I was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and I miss it just about every day.  My dad still lives there and he sends me slabs....and I mean SLABS of uncut whole smoked salmon on a regular basis.  I received the most recent slab delivery two days ago.  One of them was 1.3 kg, and the other was just over 1.4 kg!  Amazing!  That's over 6 scrumptious pounds of Nova Scotia Smoked Salmon!   My dad and I have a routine with our salmon-trade.  He'll call me and tell me when its en route, and typically I will leave a cooler on my front step with an ice pack in it, just in case I am not at home for the delivery.  I'll stick a note on the door for the Fed-ex guy to leave the package in the cooler as its not a good thing for perishable goods to go back to the warehouse for pick up on the next business day!

As for the fish...I usually cut each slab into 4, and freeze it in Ziploc bags in my deep freezer.  It keeps down there forever!  My dad usually sends me a few deliveries of salmon every year.  And as much as I love my smoked salmon, I also love sharing it with friends for a night of drinks and appies!

Finger Food Friday! Nachos, Salsa, baguette,
olive oil and balsamic to dip,  AND...smoked salmon!   TGIFFF!

I know we can get smoked salmon here in Calgary, but...really, you can take the girl out of Nova Scotia, but you can never take Nova Scotia out of the girl!   Ever!   

No comments:

Post a Comment