Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Good Friday Meal





Got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and it is a traditional dish that she makes for Good Friday. In one of my previous posts ("Weight a Minute!") I talked about how I have been trying to avoid white carbs...ironically, this dish that I made on Good Friday was ALL white, and ALL carbs...but man was it delicious. Everything in moderation, and this dish is a great one for Good Friday. It is called Gnabe. They are little button-sized dumplings that you boil first, and then pan fry them with butter and cooked potatoes. You can serve it with either scrambled egg mixed in, or fry up some sauerkraut with it. Yum!

Gnabe
1 cup of flour
1 egg
pinch of salt
1 medium diced potato
*Note that for our family of 4 (2 kids, 2 adults) I tripled the recipe and we hardly had any left! Guess we were in carb-loading mood!

In a medium bowl combine flour, egg and salt. Add some water to slowly and knead into a hard dough. Break off into button-sized pieces. Boil for 5 minutes and set aside. Boil potato separately and sent aside. When ready to serve, fry up half of the boiled gnabe with butter, half of the potato and some egg (I used 3 eggs and cracked them right into the frying pan with the gnabe). Fry the other half of the gnabe with the rest of the potato with some sauerkraut. Serve with Cheese Whiz (I know, really???) or plain yogurt or sour cream. Then, work your ass off the next day for your workout. High carbs, but totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment