Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chocolate Energy Balls

Yesterday I tried yet again an amazing (and healthy) chocolatey treat.   Of course I had to have the recipe from a series of cookbooks that I have not heard of (which surprised me!).  The cookbook series is called "Whitewater Cooks" written by Shelley Adams.

I found different variations of these energy balls on-line.  The recipe itself is so versatile and looks like it would accept different ingredient substitutions.  One thing is for sure...Shelley Adams has created something amazing, simple and delicious and nutritious.  I even had one for breakfast.

Whitewater Energy Balls

1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries (1 used 1/2 cran, 1/2 raisins)
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups peanut butter (out of necessity, I used 1 cup organic peanut butter, 1 cup of "Wow" peanut-free peanut butter)
1/2 cup of honey
1 1/2 cups toasted coconut for the coating. (I didn't have coconut so used cocoa powder to coat mine)

Put everything in a bowl except the coconut.  Mix ingredients well.  More honey may be needed to hold everything together.  I had to put mine in the fridge overnight to firm it up a bit.  Roll into them into timbit sized balls, and then roll in toasted coconut (or in my case, more cocoa powder).  From what I read, you can store these in the refrigerator for a week, or in the freezer for up to one month.

Healthy, nutritious and sinfully delicious!   Thanks Whitewatercooks!   I will definitely be buying this series of cookbooks and trying some new recipes!



No comments:

Post a Comment