Total Pageviews

Monday, September 3, 2012

You Can't Beet That!!



Who knew these
didn't grow in a can
on the store shelf??
Ok, so pun intended with the title of this post.    I went a little crazy at the farmers market this weekend.  The fruits and veggies always look so amazing, fresh and delicious in the  fall.  I bought baby corn (who knew they didn't grow in the can on the grocery store shelf??), Swiss chard, peppers (red, green and yellow bell peppers, and delicious poblano peppers) and beets (yellow beets, red beets and beet greens, oh my!).



Beets!   I have always enjoyed beets, but as a child, I only ever really had the canned ones (which are still good for you!).  While on summer vacation,  a friend of mine had bought some fresh beets from the local market and roasted them with dinner one night.  I couldn't believe how delicious they were!  When I saw them at the market last week, I had to buy and try them.  Yesterday,  I made a yummy dinner with some pork chops (breaded and pan fried with a lemon/garlic/white wine sauce), beet greens sauteed in garlic and a bit of olive oil, and oven roasted multi-coloured beets.  Add in some good bread and raw veggies and dip and it made for a fantastic, nutritious and delicious supper.

My children never cease to amaze me, and last nights dinner was no exception.  I am a true believer in not short-order cooking for my kids...whatever I cook for dinner is what's for dinner, you don't have to eat everything, but I do encourage that the kids try foods, and if they don't like it, then they don't have to eat it.  The kids were both willing to try the beets and the beet greens, and both my son and daughter really enjoyed them, and even went for a second round of the beet greens!  The best moment of last nights dinner?  When my son asked "what'd you season this with mom? Its delicious!".

It made the foodie / dietitian / mom in me smile from ear to ear!


Some nutritional benefits of beets:

  • low calories and nutrient-rich (45 calories per 100 grams)
  • contains antioxidants in the root (the bulb part) and the greens on top
  • beet greens are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant
  • top greens are an excellent source of flavenoid antioxidants and carotenoids which may help protect from some lung and oral cancers
  • top greens are also rich in vitamin A, essential for maintaining healthy mucous membranes, skin and essential for vision
  • and...did you know that Swiss chard is also from the beet family?  


You can't beet that!   

No comments:

Post a Comment