Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

Meal-Planning Monday Madness!

Meal planning madness is an understatement!   I went a bit crazy with cooking today but my intentions were good AND we will reap the benefits for sure, as we now have some quick and nutritious meals that are crucial for surviving the hockey and ringette season.

I have always had it in me to cook more than is required.  Why not cook two chickens instead of one or brown five pounds of ground beef  at once?  Time always seems so limited, but when I have it, I really try and use it wisely, and this afternoon, it all started with the chickens.  Easy, quick and  no real recipe required. Simply put the raw birds in a roasting pan (rinse with water and lemon juice first..that's what my ma always says!), and season away!  My seasoning varies depending on what I have, but today I used the Epicure Poultry Blend, some salt, pepper and lemon juice, and then drizzled on some soy sauce.  I also threw in the lemon after I squeezed it on the birds.  Cover, and cook for about 1 hour, and then remove cover, and cook for another hour on 350.  One bird fed the four of us today and my hubby and I have leftovers for lunch AND we threw the carcass in the deep freeze to make soup.  Done.  And we still have one whole cooked bird in the deep freeze.  Next.....

I made the motherload in spaghetti sauce.   Again, I never use a recipe, as I just throw in whatever.  Just brown the ground round, and once cooked through and through, throw it in a big pot (or a slowcooker if you like), and get the creative juices flowin'!  I added a couple cans of crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, some red wine that was leftover, (weird that I had some vino left!), some balsamic, lots of fresh minced garlic and fresh chopped basil.  I also had some tomatoes that needed to be eaten, so I threw them in the blender and tossed them in the sauce as well.  And presto!

Five meals of spaghetti, one of which will be to make a lasagne, one for sloppy Joe's and the others can be for spaghetti.   All labelled and in my deep freeze!

My last task tonight was of course was baking a batch of cookies so the kids have a treat in their lunches, and they make a great after school snack (with a glass of milk and a fruit of course!).  I made some brown sugar cookies which are super yummy, and I know the kids will love them!  I confess that I did try them (ate two) and they were delicious.




So in a nutshell, I baked 2 chickens, made 5 meals of spaghetti,. and baked 3 dozen (minus 2!) brown sugar cookies, and that was my Meal-Planning Monday Madness!

Was it worth it?   Most definitely!  I already know we'll be having spaghetti tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment