Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Easy Quinoa Salad

Some roasted chicken (top left); Quinoa salad (top right)
and leftover oven roasted beets and sauteed beet greens.


I love quinoa (pronounced keen-wa).  It is grain-like, and is highly nutritious, is gluten free, and is a good source of iron, protein and dietary fibre.  It is a great alternative to rice or pasta, and is excellent in salads, or as side dish to any meal.

I tried the recipe on the back of the "TruRoots" brand of quinoa at Costco, and it was delicious, and tasted even better the next day.  It made an excellent leftovers-lunch combined with my extra roasted chicken.  Yum!

True Roots Quinoa...available at Costco!
Link for "True Roots" products is below!

TruRoots Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa (I cooked 1 cup, so it ended up being about 2 cups of cooked...not sure if this was right, but its what I did!)  Take 1 cup raw quinoa and put in pot with 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil, and then simmer on medium low, covered for 15 minutes.  You'll know its ready when the seeds are a bit translucent.  Once ready, fluff with a fork and let cool.

Salad fixin's:  1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup of coursely chopped pecans (I added more than this, as I love pecans in any type of salad).  I wonder if raisins and/or currents could also work in this recipe?  Will have to try that next time!

Salad dressing:  6 TBSP orange juice, 1 TBSP olive oil, zest of one orange, dash of salt (optional...I never put this in) and fresh thyme leaves.

Throw it all together, and enjoy!


http://truroots.com/products/truroots-single-grains/organic-quinoa/

No comments:

Post a Comment