Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

The first Mother's Day I ever had was with our son, and he was about 11 months old at the time.  I  of course wanted to go for brunch.  Looking back, it was probably not a great idea to go for brunch on the busiest day of the year. And just so you know, I am not saying anything bad about brunch.  I generally love brunch, but Mother's Day brunch is not for me.


I had chosen to go to La Caille on the Bow here in Calgary.  We were very organized, and called ahead to reserve a table and a high chair.  I even took it a step further and called to confirm our reservation the day before!  What was this, a flight to Mexico or brunch???  But I called because I am a bit of a control freak about things like that. Again, they said they had our reservation, and a high chair, and not to worry.  When we arrived, yes, they had our reservation, but alas, no high chair, as someone else had used their last one.  Some of you may not know this about me, but I don't handle things like this very well.  But in we went, wheeling our son in his Graco stroller like we were on an obstacle course.  Finally we arrived at our table...I leaned on it ever so slightly, and it came CRASHING down (who makes a table on a flimsy pedestal anyway??).  The staff quickly shuffled us off to another table and I seem to remember it being quite far from the buffet.  The bunch came and went, and ever since then, we still enjoy the occasional brunch, but just not on Mother's Day.


Our tradition is that I put my order in for brunch, and the kids and hubby make it for me at home.  I get to have my coffee upstairs in our bonus room while it is being prepared.  Today I had my coffee while watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy.  The menu for today? Smoked salmon, a variety of cheeses, baguette, and the traditional hashbrowns, eggs, bacon and fruit, served with coffee and orange juice.  Combine all that with a brilliant sunny day, and it was excellent.  The kids made me gifts, consisting of cards, photo albums, and they even made me a movie about why they love me (with Red Red Wine playing in the background!  Do they know me, or what??).  These are the gifts I love best...ones filled with so much thought!  

We ended our great day with our other Mother's Day tradition...going out for dinner (my choice).  We went to Big T's BBQ and Smokehouse, and it was, as usual, delicious, right down to the last rib and pickle!

Happy Mother's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment