Total Pageviews

Monday, October 1, 2012

Off To The Market I Go!

Happy October!

October is such a great time of year...lots of great produce around at the farmer's markets, leaves changing colour, turkey dinner with all the trimmings....yum!  Fall is a fantastic time to visit all the Farmer's Market's in the city, and to get really fresh local produce and baked goods and celebrate the harvest.

The old Farmer's Market at the Curry Barracks had all my vendors in one place...I'd go down the far aisle to the Greek Gals and get pita and hummus, then right next door was the Stock and Sauce guy and I'd get a variety of dips and bruschetta.  I'd visit Sylvan Star Cheese guy, and buy my gouda and a dozen eggs, and basically just make the rounds.  Next was Pearson's Berry Farm, and  hands down, they have the BEST pie EVER.  Pumpkin, Saskatoon, Saskatoon Apple, butter tarts, Saskatoon butter tarts...

Pumpkin Mini Tarts...so delicious!
Once the old CFM (that's Calgary Farmer's Market) closed, and moved, it was hard to find all the vendors in the same place.   And last year, tragically, I could not find my Pearson's Berry Farm....which meant, NO PIE!   I  looked at CFM and I looked at Kingsland, but they were not there.   Finally, I gave up, and ended up buying sub-par-pies at another vendor.  This year, I searched on Google, and found them at the Calgary's original Farmer's Market:  Crossroads!  I took a trip there yesterday, and boy oh boy, I went a bit overboard.  

Saskatoon Apple...warm it up, add ice cream...
and....ahhhhhhhhhh


I bought 2 pies (pumpkin and Saskatoon-apple) and 2 tray's of the pumpkin mini tarts.   While I am a great baker, one thing I can't do well is pie or pie crust...so I do the next best thing, and find someone else who can.

The flavour and the crust in these pies are flawless.  They are already baked when you buy them, and the freeze well!


Pumpkin Pie....soooo goooood.......

What more could you ask for?  Just looking at these pictures is making my mouth water!

Now...I guess my goal this week will be to save up my calories for Thanksgiving dinner and dessert!

Check out their website and the locations...if there is one near to you, I highly recommend it!


http://www.pearsonsberryfarm.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment