Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What's Cookin' at 11 pm? Beef!

My favourite slow cooker cook book!
Fall is a great time for slow cooked meals that warm the heart, belly and soul.  So what else would I be doing at 11 pm at night, but preparing dinner for tomorrow!  I am trying desperately to use up things from my deep freeze in anticipation of buying not 1, but 2 farm fresh 20-plus pound turkeys from my turkey connection at work.  So tonight, I pulled out all of the beef we had left from our 1/4 cow purchase last year. It included 2 big round steaks and one pack of stewing meat...perfect for slow cookin'!  Flipping through the beef section, there were a lot of recipes, but I needed quick, simple, and easy to throw together in the morning while I am half dazed, sipping on coffee.   I actually found 2 that I liked, and of course did my own thing, kind of a variation of both.


Beef-a-la-slow-cooker
First, I cubed all the beef, and threw it in the ceramic part of the slow cooker.   I added a few cloves of minced garlic, 2 TBSP of brown sugar, a bit of sea salt and some beef spice mix I had from Epicure (love Epicure!).  Once it was all mixed, I threw it in the refrigerator, just about ready to go for the morning.  All that's left to do is add a bit of water, ketchup or tomato sauce, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and 3/4 can of beer.


Guess I'll be having a bit of beer after breakfast tomorrow!  When I come home from work, the beef will be oh-so-tender, and all that's left to do is cut the buns (from Cobs Bakery, of course!!) and whip up a salad.  Dinner is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment