Total Pageviews

Monday, October 29, 2012

Rivel Soup for the Soul...

Steaming bowl-a-soup, anyone?
 Both our kids were sick today...flu, cold, etc...I think most people, kids included, have their "safe foods" when they are feeling unwell.  My kids always ask for something called "rivel soup". I learned how to make this from my mother-in-law, and have to say, while mine is not as good as hers, it is pretty close (which means it is amazing!).  

It is dubbed "lazy man noodle" soup, but there is nothing lazy about it, unless you've been making it for years.   The first time I made it, it took me almost 45 minutes to make these rivels!



I always save my bones...be it from chicken or turkey.  I just bag 'em and chuck 'em in the freezer.  When I am ready to make soup, just add water, and boil 'em up.   I add a bay leaf or two, some soup base and some sea salt and pepper, and then the broth tastes amazing, fresh and cures what ails you. Start boiling it in the late morning and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Strain out all the bones.  If there is meat on the bones, you can shred it off and use in the soup if you wish.

For the rivels, its simply eggs and flour, and you really need to see someone do it to know how to do it.   I will attempt to write the recipe out, though, just in case there are any adventurous people out there!


  • start with 2 cups and a bit of flour
  • add in 3 eggs.   NO water at this point.
  • Mix together rubbing your hands together, and make it all look like sand at a beach.
  • Then, you need to add water, but if you add too much, it will wreck it.  I find that if you just slightly wet your had under the tap, and mix it into your bowl, it works better.  Every time you do that, rub all the dough together.  Eventually, you'll get nice small little balls (I know, sounds funny). 
  • If it still appears too fine, wet your hand again, and rub the dough all together between your hands.   
  • Once it looks like this....then pour all your balls in a colander and shake out the tiny tiny balls, and use only the one's that stay in your colander.

The rivels.....

  • The broth (which you should have ready after boiling up those bones) should be boiling, and then just add in the balls!  
  • Boil for 5 minutes or so, and your soup is ready.  Add S&P to taste.  I know it has no veggies, but the broth, combined with the "lazy-man-egg-noodles" are just perfect for that comfort food that is much needed for colds, or getting over the flu, when you need those hot steaming liquids.  
One last pic of my perfect-rivels!

I am happy to say that my rivels were amazing today, and I made them in less than 15 minutes!  Practice does really make perfect!  



1 comment:

  1. Thank You! Maybe you could make a U-Tube video on making your rivels.

    ReplyDelete