Total Pageviews

Monday, October 8, 2012

Brown Goddess Does Turkey!


Some beautiful flowers from my sister-in-law Tammy!  Thank you!

 Happy Thanksgiving!  Truly one of my favourite times of year, as it involves lots and LOTS of awesome food, fantastic times with family and friends, and just remembering to be thankful and grateful.  We had two amazing dinners this year, which also means double the weight gain, but no regrets from me!  I enjoyed every bite, from eating some of the crispy skin during the carving of beast (yes, I do that! I am like a vulture hanging out over the "garbage bowl"!) to the pumpkin pie, Saskatoon berry pie and apple crisp to finish off weekend of non-stop eating.

Dressing from turkey dinner # 1 at our house.
I made the dressing in the slowcooker...and OMG D-LISH!



 On Saturday, we made a 20-pound bird for some of my hubby's family (his mom and sister) and for some friends of ours that go back to the days when we had no kids.  It was a great time had by all!




Turkey dinner at our house!



On the menu:  Roasted Bird (of course), dressing made with Cobs bread, Spolumbo chicken apple sausage, bacon and fresh herbs (oh my), roasted yellow beets with herbs, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole and a fresh green salad with pecans and apples (so yummy).  Dessert...was pumpkin pie and Saskatoon berry pie with whipped cream or ice cream or both.  I can't remember what I wore...but I know that the pants had some stretch to them!  


Oven roasted vegetables at turkey dinner # 2 at
my sister-in-law's place...so very delicious, and festive!



 Sunday was a family affair at my brother-in-laws house, and I believe there were 17 for dinner!  Again, there was a traditional bird with stuffing, which was so delicious, I had to take seconds and graze around where the food was so I could sneak in "thirds".  We also had roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, cabbage rolls (two kinds!), and some Ukrainian delicacies called Nalesniki.  Now I am sure I am not spelling this correctly, but basically they are home-made crepes stuffed with either sauteed mushrooms or cottage cheese (again, both kinds were available) AND...then, they are covered in heavy cream and baked.  Oh. My. Goodness.

Dinner # 2 was followed by many desserts (that's "stressed" spelled backwards, ya know!).  But again, the desserts were delectable, and could not be avoided.   Best to just eat what you want in these situations, and just be really really REALLY good for the next month.  

All in all, it was a fabulous weekend, and today, was the best, because today...was leftovers day! Hurray for leftovers!  

What's in store for tomorrow?  Time to get back on that scale (ugh) and figure out how many weeks I have until Christmas to lose that weight.

Dessert....Day 2.  Traditional pies, and....
Apple crisp which was truly the best!


Seriously...check out this spread!  Everything
from turkey and stuffing to 2 kinds of cabbage rolls
and some Ukrainian Nalesniki...soooo goooood....


Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!


And now....we sleep....

No comments:

Post a Comment