Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Early Bird Makes a Meal Plan!

It is a great ritual, getting up early on the weekends...brew the coffee, read the paper, enjoy the silence.

Ever since we got our puppy, we tend to get up a bit earlier on weekends.  It is actually quite lovely as everyone else is sleeping, and since hockey and ringette are over our time is our own.  This morning, I really made the most of my time, and actually was a bit of a nerdy-meal-planner, as I had the time to do it.


4 cups of coffee later....4 lasagne's...and it's only 9 am!
What was on the agenda today?
  • Lasagne...did 4 lasagne's today...yes FOUR:  2 with meat and 2 with spinach and ricotta
  • Cajun Skillet Beans with ground turkey

The lasagne, though a bit tedious, was easy, and while I was grating cheese, browning beef and boiling noodles (no oven-ready for me!), I had my iPad on my mindless albeit entertaining soap (GH of course). The meat lasagne was easy, as it really is just home-made spaghetti sauce, and then a bit of layering.  The spinach and ricotta one took a bit of thought, and in the end, I just made something up, which tasted pretty good!

Cajun Skillet Beans with a Turkey Twist
The cajun skillet beans are a recipe from a friend of mine and of course, not one to follow directions, I had to make it a bit different and add in some ground turkey (only because I bought some and nobody wanted turkey burgers).  In the end....I have all my meals for the week.




Monday:    Cajun Skillet beans with turkey
Tuesday:  Lasagne (meat or spinach...I can choose!)
Wednesday:  Beef on a bun  and salad (found some leftover beef in the freezer)
Thursday:  Leftover skillet beans with salad and garlic toast
Friday:  Finger Food  Friday!


Spinach Ricotta Lasagne

- 3 packs of chopped frozen spinach
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- lots of minced garlic
- 3 eggs
- lasagne noodles
- tomato sauce

Microwave spinach and squeeze out excess water (as much as you can).  Then add in the ricotta, the minced garlic and the eggs. Mix well.  Can add in a bit of the mozza as well, just save some of the shredded cheese for the top.   Layer the noodles and alternate with the spinach mixture ( I did 3 layers of noodles, and ended with the the spinach mixture.  On the top layer, I put some tomato sauce and then topped with shredded mozzarella.  I have no idea how this will taste, but it really looked yummy!  This recipe made 2 lasagne's, though I had to do them both at the same time to allow equal spinach on each!

Cajun Skillet Beans with Ground Turkey

-2 packages of ground turkey (dark meat is best as it is more tender)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 chopped pepper (green, or yellow, or whatever you have)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (19 oz can)
- 1 - 2 fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 - 2 TBSP honey
- 1 1/2 TBSP dijon mustard
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- beans:  1 can of black eyed peas and 1 can of mixed beans
- herbs: fresh thyme, fresh basil and fresh oregano
- spices: chili powder, cayenne pepper (not a lot!)
- salt and pepper to taste

Brown the turkey and once cooked put aside.  In the vegetable oil,  brown the minced garlic, chopped celery and chopped peppers together for about 5 minutes.  Once softened, add in the fresh herbs and a dash of chili powder and a dash of cayenne pepper.   Simmer for 2 minutes.   Now add in all those tomatoes, and add the honey and dijon.  For the honey, start with 1 TBSP and then add more if necessary.  Add in the ground turkey.  Drain and wash beans and add to mixture.  Cover and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.


**Keep in mind that it is now after 10 pm, and I am writing down what I think I did....and also remember...I hardly ever measure anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment